Fforestfach Cross around 1930's

The Fforestfach History Website

Loading

Work



With the building of the Swansea Railway Station (1850), then the extended line from Landore to Carmarthen (1852). This would have brought in men and their families to live and work. One of the first mines was the Mynydd Newydd Colliery founded by Vivian & Company in 1843 with many others to follow. Towards the end of WWII the idea of Fforestfach Industrial Estate was born, and soon companies and new businesses created jobs to revitalise the area.